Pages

Uberlibrariana


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Workout at Home: Review of Shaun T.'s "Insanity: Fast and Furious"

This workout is a bonus workout for the Insanity program. Its billed as a 45 minute Insanity workout in 20 minutes.


If you've done any of the Insanity workouts, you know the concept is "Max Interval Training", where you work really hard, and then rest. Well, this is like one long max interval training interval... there is NO REST in the bulk of the workout!

It's filmed in a small gym space. Shaun T has two background exercisers, a girl and a guy. They are both super fit but still struggle to complete the workout (this is comforting to me!)

Equipment Needed: None

Breakdown of workout:

Warm Up:
- Jog it out
- Jumping Jacks
- 1-2-3 Heisman
- High knee abs/jumprope
- Fall squats: Like squatting jumping jacks, but you touch the floor on the squat.
- Plank squats: Holy moly. Kind of like burpees but you come all the way into a squat and don't stand up.

Go through this whole thing twice, then the stretch.

Each of the following is one minute. No breaks. Holy cow:

* Sprints: high, low, floor, and moving pushups

* Power knees/Diamond jumps

* Ski abs, In-and-out, oblique pushups

* High Knee Oblique Twist

* Burpee/Pushup jacks (with a jump, of course)

* Power jumps. For one minute. (if you're still alive). (The 2 folks in the cast actually stop here and Shaun T. calls them out. "Come on! Nobody's jumping! Let's go!")(At one point all three of them are just standing there looking tired!)

* Football runs/plank holds

* Plank punches ("This **** is crazy, I can't even talk!")

* 100 meter dash sprint

Holy cow.

"My goal is not to kill you. My goal is for you to kill yourself."
- Shaun T.

Good stuff: If you like getting an amazing workout in a short amount of time, this is the one for you. It is *amazingly* difficult, even though that workout portion is only about 12 minutes long (it's the whole "no breaks" thing).

Not-so-good stuff: 
- The production is not as fancy as the other Insanity workouts, so I thought that might bother me. That was silly, because the last thing I cared about while gasping for air and dying was the video production...
- It's FREAKING HARD!
- Did I mention it's hard?
- Seriously, finding a workout that is as challenging like this is great, because you have room to grow.

Difficulty:
Not for beginners. However, I do believe you should go at your own pace, and can take breaks as needed. The whole point, though, is to push yourself really hard, so you need to know you're capable of doing that. I look forward to getting better at this and taking fewer breaks.

(Oh, and on the back of the case, they suggest pairing it with another Insanity workout. Maybe one day. It wore me out so much I felt like I could just go back to bed...In fact, I got worn out just previewing it!)

Overall rating:
A

Do you have any workouts you would like to see reviewed here? Let me know and I'll do it!

3 comments:

Tony Van Helsing said...

Do you do this work to a video on your own at home? That would take self-discpline.

Unknown said...

Yep, it's a Beachbody workout. I'm a big fan of working out at home using DVDs :-)

BabyWilt said...

It sounds amazing in that sick exercise high kinda way - well done.