Pages

Uberlibrariana


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Weight Loss Wednesday: The Smoking Doctor

(Yes, I did intentionally make that sound like an episode of Doctor Who..)

In 90s, I was a big fan of the show E.R. I was a fan in the early years, but after Anthony Edwards left, it lost a lot of its magic for me.

I remember a scene with Dr. Greene (Edwards' character) where he was smoking. I remember thinking, "How terrible. How could a doctor- someone who is so devoted to health- smoke? Gross."

Well, I feel a little bit like the smoking doctor. I weighed at the gym Monday, and I had gained 2 pounds in one week. This was a week where I did all the workouts I was supposed to. I knew it had to be my eating.

Scale Pictures, Images and Photos

I love to workout. I could workout for hours a day. I have in the past. Before I had kids, I could spend up to 5 hours between my own workout and teaching class. That's how I made the money to pay for my wedding: Teaching 2-3 classes a day, and then working out on my own. I looked pretty good at my wedding. Of course, I was 29, and one might argue my metabolism was higher..

[I don't have any wedding pictures online or I would put one here. That's pretty sad.]


But, I've always had problems with eating.

I crave healthy foods. I just don't always eat the right amount. (And I don't always stick to the healthy foods, as well). I am starting to realize a lot of it is emotional eating.

My nutrition/diet/overeating- whatever you want to call it- has held me back for years. When I was 30, and Turbokick was still only in gyms, I auditioned to be a presenter. My notes said I was a great instructor, but that my physique didn't "show a commitment to fitness".

I trained for and completed a half marathon, but I've been pretty much stuck at the same weight for the past 6 months. I am not going to blame my metabolism (although I think in my 20s I could have eaten like this and lost weight... but since that doesn't apply anymore, it really doesn't matter). I'm not going to blame breastfeeding, or hormones, or "I just had a baby 8 months ago!"... I'm going to take responsibility.

I. Need. To. Eat. Better.

Now, the part I'm most ashamed of is that I know exactly what to do. I have helped tons of people get themselves to their desirable weight. But, it only takes a moment of weakness to shovel a bunch of food in your mouth.

So, here's where I am:
1. I admit that I eat when I'm stressed out or upset.
2. I know that it's happening when it's happening.
3. I always find an excuse why it's okay to keep eating. ("I've already blown it, I might as well finish the bag..")

From here, I've decided to make a public declaration: I will eat better. I will report back every Wednesday. I will finally "look like" a person who works out as much as I do!

Here's what I commit to doing:
1. Drink my Shakeology daily (It really does help me with the cravings. I let myself run out last month, but no more! Ordered some extra for May!)
2. Log everything I eat in Livestrong.com.
3. Post my weekly intake on Wednesdays, no matter what I eat!

You all are my witnesses. Are you going to hold me to it? Do you want to do it with me?

1 comment:

BabyWilt said...

Great post and something very close to my heart at the moment. Since I heard "you cannot out exercise a bad diet" I think I have been trying!!! But it's true you can't! I'm back on the tracking wagon as well, I WILL own this body :-)