Pages

Uberlibrariana


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Taco Soup.. so yummy, so yummy...

I posted that we were having Taco Soup, and a lot of people asked for the recipe, so I figured I should just blog it right here...

(Please remember this is not a food blog. I have no gorgeous pictures of my Taco Soup to show you, and it's not going to win any Food Network awards..)

It's a variation on the Duggars' recipe from their book. I don't have the means to cook for 30 people though, so I modify (and try to make it a little healthy)..

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 or 2 packets taco seasoning (I use low sodium)
1 can hominy
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
3 cans diced tomatoes with chiles
2 cups water

(Optional: Grated cheese, blur corn tortilla chips, fat free sour cream)

Brown the ground beef/turkey (I usually use turkey). Mix 1 pack of taco seasoning in with meat for the last few minutes.

In a large pot combine the cans of everything (I rinse and drain all the beans, just pour the tomatoes in as is). Add water and (optional, if you like spicy) 1 more packet of taco seasoning.

Add meat. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.

Serve with chips on the bottom of bowl and top with cheese and sour cream (optional- it's good, and healthier, without that...)

Yummy. Even with a smaller recipe, we always have lots of leftovers.

1 comment:

Hope said...

Thank you so much!!