I haz teh burnout.
I am facing a dilemma. I am signed up for 2 upcoming half marathons:
- My longest run has been 6 miles, on the track, and I think that was about 4 weeks ago.
- I can barely force myself to run more than 2 miles.
- Running didn't get me the body I wanted. My interest has shifted to bodybuilding. I'm already seeing results after just a few weeks of heavy lifting. It's hard to want to run with that.
I've been doing some serious thinking about "Why I Run". Here's what I have come up with:
- To lose weight/stay in shape (theoretically)
- For that moment. That one moment. The "high". When you've just completed a run, and you feel like you can do anything. I haven't had that moment in a long time, but I keep running, hoping it will happen.
- The excitement of races. I love races.
So, right now, I'm really seriously wondering what to do. I feel like I need a good month away from running, and I need to start over and only run 3 miles at a time when I get back. But if I do that, I don't think I'll be ready for the September race (maybe the October race).
What do you think? What would *you* do?
Let me hear it...