Pages

Uberlibrariana


Monday, January 23, 2012

When life happens...

Source




Have you recently committed to a new goal? Maybe it's a weight loss goal. Maybe it's training a physical accomplishment, like an endurance race. I want to let you know something now.

You will be challenged.
Life will happen.

Don't worry, though. These challenges give you a chance to decide: Are you interested, or are you COMMITTED?

"There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." ~ Ken Blanchard


Let's face it- bad days are going to happen. I'm not being a pessimist, it's just true. But they don't have to derail you. They don't have to define you.

What you need to do is plan. What will you do in the event that something happens? Will you give in to temptation because you had a bad day? Or will you remember your commitment?

Plan in advance by setting clear goals, and be ready. Keep these thoughts in mind:

1. Define your "why": What was the reason you started this? Did you see a "fat" picture of yourself, draw a line in the sand, and say, "enough!"? Did you get winded climbing a flight of stairs? Did you get a wake-up call from the doctor? Keep that feeling fresh in your mind for the times when you just don't feel like working out, or you feel a binge coming on. If your "why" is clear, you'll be able to hold onto it easier when temptation strikes.

2. Avoid "I deserve it." This is so dangerous. I want you to think about exactly what you deserve. After a long day, I know I find myself thinking, "I deserve that piece of pie." But, you know, what do you *really* deserve? Try replacing that thought with "I deserve to be proud of the way I look in my bikini. I deserve to feel great. I deserve to succeed."

3. Get a support group. Find at least one other person who shares your goal. Either online, or a friend you see every day. But you need a place to go for support, and it helps if there are folks with the same goals. (Shameless plug: You can find lots of fitness minded folks at Sarah Fitness :-))

So, be prepared for challenges by being committed. It's a daily choice!

No comments: