Pages

Uberlibrariana


Monday, March 28, 2011

Running and Insanity (the workout, not the mental condition)

I had a pretty good 8 mile run on Saturday. It started out rough. I wanted to quit. I was coughing like a crazy person. I started out with a run 5/walk 1 plan, then at about 30 minutes changed it to run 4/walk 1. It's AMAZING the difference 60 seconds made. The last 30 minutes or so were run 5/ walk 1.

I learned during this run:
1. Always carry a tissue. I blew my nose a LOT.
2. Carry more water. I ran out about halfway through.
3. In a pinch, Nutrigrain bars work for nutrition during a long run.
4. Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is the absolute perfect pace for me to run during a long run. I think I'm going to loop it.

I finished in 1:29:48, and my goal was to finish in less than 90 minutes... so that was a victory...

And the day went downhill from there...

During the last 30 minutes of the run, I had fantasized about how, when I got home, I would ice, stretch, play with the foam roller, drink a ton of water, take a hot shower... apparently, while I was running, I forgot that I have 2 children.

My husband was swamped with work, and when I got home, I could tell the 90 minutes (well, plus warm up time) may have been a little too much to force both children upon him while he was trying to work.

I didn't even get to go to the bathroom.

My daughter saw me, and when I walked past her, she started screaming. So I picked her up. She was teething and needed her mommy.

I had promised my son a "special treat" if he was good for Daddy while I was running. Well, guess who has a REALLY good memory and NO patience?

Eventually, I got my stretch. I got my shower. I even got my chocolate baked oatmeal and rehydrated. But, everything on my to-do list that wasn't "Parent" or "Run 8 miles" pretty much did not get done this weekend.

Fast forward to Monday. Ooohhhh weeee I got it in my head that I miss Shaun T.'s Insanity workouts, so I'm throwing one or two in a week just to shake things up (along with some strength training.... watch for a blog post on this)

Oh, hello Shaun T.'s abs....


I decided to start my Youtube career with this video, completed at the end of Cardio Power and Resistance:



(Warning. I say "poop" a lot in this video.)

This was followed by a Monday afternoon Lunchtime Run... which went quite well, actually. I don't care if the people bundled up in coats laughed at me in a tank top and gloves...


(Come on over to Facebook! We have cookies! Well, not really...)

No comments: