Pages

Uberlibrariana


Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inspiring Women: Audrey S. (New Series)

I'm starting a new series where I feature inspiring women who have made a difference.

Our first inspiring woman is Audrey S.


Audrey is a mother of 3 who works full time as the Principal of an elementary school. She and her family are also very active in local community theater and performances. With all this activity, Audrey still found time for herself to start a running program.

I want to be her when I grow up!

Audrey was gracious enough to answer some questions, so you all can get to know her!


Sarah Fitness: How old are your kids?

Audrey S.: I have three daughters. Twins 26 year old girls, Erin and Kristin. Erin has completed a masters in Public Adminstration and Kristin is an Assistant Band Director. Our bonus baby is 15 named Emily. She is a sophomore in high school, and in Advanced Classes and active in Band and Theatre.

From Left to Right, Audrey, Emily (15),  Kristen and Erin (26)



SF: What is your “real” job?
AS: I am a Elementary Principal at a high performing Title One and Bilingual Campus in Denton, Texas. I love my job because I make a difference in kids' lives.

SF: What made you want to start exercising, and how long have you been doing it?
AS:  I have been a walker for a long time. It was a great way to reduce stress and clear my head. BUT, menopause and thyroid disease saw an increase of my weight. I wanted to be 50 and fabulous and not FAT. I have a staff member that lost 100 lbs using the Couch Two Five K, (C25K Phone AP) and I thought I could start running. I started 9/16/10 but did the AP everyday, verses every other day. I completed the AP on 11/19/10 and finished my first 5K on 12/04/10. I continue to fun 6 out of 7 days and aim for 18 to 20 mile weeks with a goal of increasing distance of 3%. I also wanted to lose 30 pounds and I am two pounds short of my goal.

SF: What fitness accomplishment has made you the proudest (so far)?
AS: I am still amazed daily that I can continuously run for 1 hour! I am proud of completing my first 5K and hope to complete a 10K.

SF: What has the greatest benefit you’ve felt from exercising?
AS: I have seen a real change in my body and can wear single digit clothes! Also my body chemistry has changed and my last test had my HDL higer than my LDL. My day goes better when I excercise and it is a stress reliever.

SF: What advice do you have for those who are considering starting an exercise program? What do you wish someone had told you?
AS:  I think my advice is use technology, the phone AP C25K was a great jumping off point. The second technology I would recommend is a calorie tracker, I like Tap and Track. It includes a number of restaurants and with my schedule due need to eat out. The other bit of advice is have circle of friends to encourage, celebrate with, and most importantly be accountable too. My goal now is to keep the weight off and not have to lose this same 30 pounds every again.

Thanks so much, Audrey! You inspire me and I know will inspire others!

Readers, please post a comment to encourage or congratulate Audrey on all her accomplishments!

Sarah

1 comment:

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

What an awesome interview! I want to be her when I grow up too ;)