Pages

Uberlibrariana


Monday, March 21, 2011

Running and I are friends again...

But we're taking it slow.

After Friday's run - yuck run #3 of the week- I questioned my running future. It wasn't fun anymore.

I needed a plan. So, since I'm a planner, I planned.

1. Diet
I find myself often feeling pressured to run (or do another workout) even if it's a rest day, or my body's not quite feeling right, because I've consumed too many calories. I decided I need to keep a tighter watch on my calories to prevent this need. This way, if I don't workout, I won't feel like I will gain 10 pounds..

2. Rest
I did not workout all weekend. I kept busy with house organizing projects, and chased 2 kids around (the 6 month old is getting surprisingly mobile) but did no workout... and didn't stress about it.

Well, let's just say I rested as much as you can chasing after THIS guy all weekend:


3. No playlist music outside of running
I have several songs that are running playlist favorites right now- but I didn't allow myself to listen to any of them all weekend, and won't- except for when running. That way, they will still be new and motivating, instead of, "Oh, THAT song again".

(The one exception: "Hey Soul Sister". My son sings along to it, and it's one of his favorites. We listen to it over and over in the car. When I'm running, and it comes on, it makes me think of him, which helps get me going).

4. Shorter runs
Since I've been having trouble with wanting to take walk breaks in my shorter runs, I've decided to make them even shorter. So, the runs during the week will be no more than 2.5 miles (no less than 2.0. In fact, probably closer to 2.0). I need to feel stronger on these.

5. Don't Compare!
I think where things started to go a little wrong for me was when I started comparing myself to others. "Well, she ran 20 miles and then 10 the next day. That's hard core. I should be running more." Then I push myself too far too soon, then I burn out. So, I'll be proud of my 2 mile runs this week, and I won't be embarrassed that someone might think of that as a warm up. It's all relative.

Those 5 things really made the difference, and today's run was fun and felt better than it has in a while.


Songs to run to today:

"Dog Days Are Over", Florence + The Machine
"Wide Open", Sugarland
"Black or White," Michael Jackson
"TubThumping", Chumbawumba
"I Gotta Feeling", Black Eyed Peas

Also, this morning I spent some time with this little guy:
Doesn't look like much, but..
That 10 pound kettlebell looks pretty harmless, but let me assure you... he is not.

Have you been in a rut? What did you do to get out of it? (Are you still in it?)

Also, do you have any songs that you LOVE to run to? Or, if you don't run, songs that just put you in a better mood? I'm always looking for new ones to add...

Oh, and I've reached *this* milestone in my Nike+ life:


If you haven't yet, can you stop over on Facebook and like our page there? We're almost at 200!!

No comments: