Pages

Uberlibrariana


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Knowing your limits..

I know my limits. Do you know yours?
Source
Well, most of the time I know my limits. I think stretching your limits is quite healthy, to a point. If you only did what was safe and comfortable all the time, you probably wouldn't get very far.

However, in testing my limits, I recently learned how far I can go before having a little breakdown. I rode The Fail Bike.
Source
Yes, I'm talking about working out. But, more importantly, I'm talking about working out as part of a balanced life.

Here's the deal:

My kids don't want to go to sleep at their bedtime. They want to play. I spend a lot of evenings fighting with them to get them to go to sleep. My inner monologue is the text of this book:

So I watch the clock. I watch as I reach 8 hours until I wake up. Then 7 hours. Then 6. It goes on.

The alarm goes off at 4:30 am. If I want to workout and get to work on time, that is the time I must get my booty out of bed.

Well, after doing that for 3 nights in a row, I had a little physical breakdown on Wednesday. I was exhausted. I did my BBL workout in the morning, but there was no love. I didn't shake my booty with enthusiasm. I made Leandro sad.
"My heart is breaking a little."
I ended up leaving work and just going home to sleep. I was unable to function I was so tired.

This morning, I slept "late". I didn't workout. And, you know what? It's amazing how much better I feel.

Therefore, I'm going to re-evaluate my workout plan. There just isn't enough time to fit everything in. Plus, my children will only be little and cuddly for a short time. One day soon, they won't want to have anything to do with me and I'll be able to sleep as much as I want.

I'm not saying you should never workout. I just think sometimes balance is *really* important.

(BTW, I am planning a lunchtime run later. I am lucky to have that option).

Do you have scheduling obstacles with your workouts? Do you have problems like this? Are you able to make it work? I'd love to hear your stories...

4 comments:

alison s said...

I used to be a morning runner, but since getting a dog, I haven't run once in the morning. It makes me a little jealous when I see other morning runners, but it's nice spending that hour in the morning with my husband and our adorable little dog.

It's a trade-off - I know one day she won't be as mobile and I will be able to run again.

Until then, I'm running home, running on weekends, and running in the evenings!

Tony Van Helsing said...

Everything in moderation.

Jen said...

You are so very smart. Your kids will only be little once. Enjoy them. And it's hard to enjoy them if you're so stinking tired. I had to do the same thing several years ago and I just found a way to make it work. That meant sometimes taking a jogging stroller, running on the treadmill, or taking a bike ride with the trailer. But like you said, they're only little once.

ren powell said...

Routines are good - but I think the natural routine of our body is the need to break the routine and excite everything - even if that means doing so by sleeping!