Pages

Uberlibrariana


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dude. I think that half marathon may have done me in. Dude.

I knew my most recent half marathon wore me out. It was the first time I've actually cried during a race.
This was before the crying..
Monday I attempted to get right back on track and did my upper body lifting workout in the morning, then attempted a 2 mile run later in the day. That 2 mile run became a 1.5 sad mockery of a run where I realized I was having some sort of PTSD from the race.

Tuesday I decided to take a rest day. I went to work and everything, but I didn't do any workout at all.

Wednesday I was *still* super tired. I felt achy. I decided to use some sick time and stay home to rest. This was a tough decision. "I'll get behind on my workouts." "I can't just do *nothing*..." But I am pretty sure it was the right decision. I stayed in bed most of the day, even though the kids were home (My husband helped). And then I slept most of the night.

Today I was finally feeling better. I did my lunchtime lower body workout at the gym, and ran 1.5 miles (I didn't even pretend like I was going to run 2.)

But the main thing is, I think that last race pushed me over the edge.

There is a fine line, a balance, when you are pushing yourself hard. I like to push myself hard. I workout hard, I work hard at work, I do housework (or attempt to keep my house clean, which is like Sysiphus and his big rock), I do a *LOT*. So, when do you know you've done too much? How can you tell the difference between "I'm exhausted and MUST take a break" and "I'm just lazy and don't want to do anything."

How do *you* tell the difference? Or do you, like me, have a little trouble with that?

Well, just in case, here's this:

1 comment:

alison s said...

It's hard to tell the difference, eh? The big difference for me is "muscle tired" and "sleepy tired." If I can't tell which is which, then I try a short run, and if that feels good, then extended it. If it feels crappy, then I give myself a break and do some yoga or elliptical instead. Sometimes all you need is a change!