Pages

Uberlibrariana


Saturday, January 14, 2012

Getting back on track after a slip...

So, I had a dietary slip last night.
(Source)  
I had a rough day, and I cheated on my diet. There were several factors involved, but the fact is I choose to eat some things that weren't on my plan.

We've all been there. I wanted to write about it because, it's the 14th of January, we're 2 weeks into the new year, and maybe some folks who set their resolutions 2 weeks ago have also slipped.

I came up with some tips to help if you feel yourself slip-sliding down that road...

1. Plan
One of the issues I had last night was that I didn't have my dinner prepped. I was tired after work, and my husband was having pizza, so when it came time to eat, it was easier to just eat the pizza. One piece wouldn't have been too bad. Two might not have been that bad. I had three. Then I kept going with some chocolate chips. And a Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich.
Source

2.  Get out of the situation

There are times when a cheat has the potential to become a complete, all-out binge. You eat one thing. Then you start thinking, "What can I eat next". Before you know it, you've binged on a bunch of stuff you may not even remember.

I could have kept eating after the Skinny Cow. I was in the mood to do it, and stuffing my face was making me feel better (even though it was temporary). But I caught myself, and I just left the kitchen. I brushed my teeth. It took a lot of strength of will, but I did it. And once I was away from the situation for a moment, I remembered my goals. So you do whatever you have to do remove yourself and break the spell. You can prevent an even more extreme slip.

3. Take responsibility- without beating yourself up.

There is a fine line here. It does absolutely no good to beat yourself up for the slip. However, justifying it doesn't help you either. "It's not my fault. I was stressed out." The fact is that eating something you shouldn't doesn't change your worth as a person. It just takes you farther away from your goals. So, as long as you eat what you shouldn't, you won't reach your goals. If you can step away impartially, you can see that, and hopefully make better choices next time.

I hope these tips help you. But I really want to hear if you have any. What do you do to get back on track?

No comments: